Lollapalooza has announced its daily schedule, which means it’s time to tally up the pesky and sometimes heartbreaking conflicts.
Let’s start with Friday:
- Friday night ends with a big one for fans of seedy, nighttime music: The Weeknd (8:30-10pm) or Flying Lotus (9-10). Or do you ditch them both and try to catch a glimpse of the living legend, Sir Paul McCartney (7:30-10)?
- The captivatingly weird vocal delivery stand-off: alt-J (6:30-7:45) v. Young Thug (6:50-7:30).
- Radiohead drummer Philip Selway (5:15-6), 2015 MVPs the War on Drugs (5:30-6:30), or blues rockers Alabama Shakes (5:45-6:45)?
- 4:30-5:30: Hot Chip or DJ Mustard? We're seriously asking.
- Sophie's Choice in the afternoon: BADBADNOTGOOD (2:50-3:30) or Tove Lo (3-3:45)?
Saturday is a little better. There are conflicts, sure, but there isn’t much overlap in genre. Sam Smith v. Metallica? Kid Cudi v. Brand New? Tyler, the Creator v. Tame Impala? Those won’t be a problem for most people, though the omnivorous music fans attending Lolla this year might shed a tear or two when they decide between “Stay With Me” and “Enter Sandman”.
Things get a little bit trickier when you look into the smaller sets:
- These sets won’t be so small, but were we are: Toro y Moi (3:45-4:45pm) or Death From Above 1979 (4:00-5) or White Sea (4:30-5:1o).?
- From 2:15-3: Travi$$ Scott or Django Django.
- Battle of the buzz bands: holychild (1-1:45) or Raury (12:50-1:30)? And which show should you leave early to catch Ryn Weaver clear across the park at 1:30?
Sunday night is getting a proper send-off from Florence and the Machine. But those not in the mood for Ms. Welch and company’s funereal grandiosity will have to decide between some big EDM names:
- Bassnectar (8:30-10pm), Kygo (9:00-10), or NERO (8:30-9:45)?
- Then, utter heartbreak: FKA twigs (7:45-8:30) or TV on the Radio (7:30-8:30)?
- Should you catch hip hop’s second-biggest bragger, ASAP Rocky (6:45-7:45), who might be performing new tunes, or popular folk band Of Monsters and Men (6:30-7:30)? Throw in ODESZA, too, who is performing at 6:15.
- Strand of Oaks (4-4:45), whose 2014 LP HEAL we can’t recommend enough, or Marina and the Diamonds (3:30-4:30), whose live act we can’ recommend enough?